How to keep your husband. Also, shoes.

Monday, January 24, 2011



So, I’ve been blog-lurking (blurking?) for a while now.

It all started with the odd wedding blog, after the Hubster and I got engaged (ok, maybe a liiiittle while before we got engaged – what can I say, I like to be prepared).
At first it was just the pretty ones – a lovely table setting here, an edgy photographer there. Then I got into the smart, sassy ones (hello Team Practical). And then all of a sudden my blog reader was filling up fast with all these amazing ladies and their insightful thoughts, their witty vignettes, making me laugh, making me cry, making me GREEN. WITH. ENVY.

See, if there’s one thing I learned from wedding planning, it’s that the Day Job (think suits, lengthy reports, recording what I'm doing every second of the day - in fact, just think *grey*) is not quite cutting it, creatively speaking. Chic and crafty DIY stationery isn’t really an option when the only event you’re throwing is a board meeting. And it seemed like everyone else was out pursuing a life of fabulousness, while I quietly stagnated in my dull little corner of the world with only the Hubster to listen to my woes (which, I’ll be honest, he was really starting to not enjoy...).

But it transpires that I’m not alone. There’s even a name for it. Apparently, I’m having a 'quarter-life crisis'*. And so is EVERYONE I KNOW. Turns out that being in your twenties is hard – we’ve finally dropped off the end of the school-university-find-a-good-job conveyor belt, only to discover that the factory has shut down in the recession. Or started making something completely different from what we were expecting. And don’t even start on the boyfriend-marriage-mortgage-babies-death thing. Do NOT even start.
So, this wee blog is my way of trying to bring something creative back into my life, and figure out how to be a twenty-first-century twenty-something without completely losing the plot and/or my husband.
Also, there will probably be shoes.


Whoops, started already.


*Please don't judge me for linking to the Daily Mail. It was just the most recent/relevant article I could find. I won't make a habit of it, I promise.


Images: 1. Gratuitous and not-particularly-relevant wedding photo by the wonderful Lillian and Leonard 2. The great unrequited love of my life, Monsieur Louboutin. Via Browns

2 boats moored

  1. Good god this is exactly how I feel. Exactly! You put my thoughts into words so eloquently, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy I found your blog! I started my own recently for pretty much the same. exact. reasons. But darling, you've got it covered so well, I may throw in the towel now.

    Looking forward to reading more! Thank you on behalf of all the other quarter-life-crises-endure-ers-stuck-in-corporate-world-shoe-lovers.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete