Gone skiing

Friday, March 11, 2011



When I was wee, every winter my dad would pack us all into the car and haul us up the road to the Highlands, to participate in that most rare and dangerous pastime: Scottish skiing.

Rare, because the unpredicable snowfall and brutal winds often render the rickety old lifts completely superfluous for days or weeks at a time.

Dangerous, because you never know when a clump of heather, a bit of fence or a hidden stream is going to rudely interrupt your graceful passage down the so-called pistes.

But. When it's good - when fresh snow blankets the craggy hills and the clean Scottish air is filled with sunshine - there's nothing better. The fact that it's only a couple of hours' drive away is just the icing on the cake.

So, to continue this tradition, and since the stupid wedding used up every spare penny we had and precluded any sort of European skiing adventure this year, Fin and I are off to try our luck up north for a few days. I'll be back on Wednesday (hopefully with all my limbs still intact).

Happy weekend, lovelies.


Photos by my dad.

4 boats moored

  1. I've never been skiing although it is on my bucket list. I do love the Scottish Highlands though and being married to a Glasgow man if we can ever get past this never ending recession and sell up, we'll definitely be moving somewhere remote and lovely!

    Enjoy your ski trip - heavy snow's forecast for today and the weekend so you could be in luck after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha yeah we went there are a few times; sometimes lots of snow sometimes none or the weather too bad!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on the forecast I'm hoping for something closer to the former picture than the latter but you literally never know - all part of the fun I guess! Hope you both have a fab weekend too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny to me to think of skiing on anything but massive, craggy mountains. The base of the mountain I usually ski is 10,700 feet (about 3,300 meters), and the summit is nearly 12,000 feet (about 3,600 meters).

    I hope the weather cooperates! Enjoy your time off regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete