Last night

Wednesday, February 15, 2012


FIN [approximately ten minutes after returning from the supermarket]: Oh, I got you flowers, by the way. They're on the kitchen table.

ME: Oh! Thanks!

F: They're carnations.

ME: Great! Thanks!

F: Do you like carnations?

ME: Yeah, they're my favourite! [They're not, but he is, so.]

F: They're my favourite too.

ME: Oh, really?

F: Yeah.

[Pause]

F: They're really cheap.


So I guess romance isn't dead after all.


[EDITED TO ADD: If getting out of bed in the wee hours of the morning  - twice - to take your dog and her upset tummy outside, while your wife dozes blissfully on, isn't romance, then I don't know what is. Fin, I take back every word.]


{Image by Tim Walker via Lotte & Bloom's fantastical Pinterest}

15 boats moored

  1. Rosie (aka Kirsty's Mum)15 February 2012 at 08:04

    See men, see romance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I got tulips, which are my favourite, but to quote my other half "I only got you a tiny bunch because we're going away" Practical but not that romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I got carnations too, which by the way are also 'my favorite' ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom's most favorite story of my dad is from when they were first married. they were on quite the budget and had little wiggle room for things like flowers.

    apparently, when my dad was walking home one day, he saw a street vendor selling 3 roses for $1 and thought to get my mom one, but the man wouldn't just sell him one, so my dad didn't buy her any. however, he DID feel the need to tell her the story of how he ALMOST bought her flowers.

    my dad's a classy guy.

    p.s. I would always buy bunches of those brilliantly bright and gorgeous fuschia carnations (or the ones that are so dark purple they're almost black) when I worked at a flower shop - they're just so great bunched all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, love it!

    And thankfully, John also does the middle of the night, upset tummy walks with the dog. I do believe that is the definition of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr TBW made the effort to sweep up the cat litter that boy cat had kicked all over the kitchen floor so I didn't stand on it - that too is love

    ReplyDelete
  8. J got me some flowers - luckily for him, they were selling them in his work canteen.

    When I asked if they were expensive, he said "well, you know how I feel about flowers..." [which is to say - he doesn't see the point or understand why they cost 'so much'... ]"but I know you love them..."

    So, sort of romantic that I got any at all, really... especially as we'd bought some reduced daffodils (25p, a price he can cope with) at the supermarket not 48 hours earlier.

    ReplyDelete